If you can’t get enough of watching home renovation shows, chances are you’re a fan of the hit HGTV show, Property Brothers. Over the years, the stars of the series, Jonathan and Drew Scott, have guided hundreds of families through the process of making over their homes, with a healthy dose of humor and tons of candid advice along the way.
With two brand-new HGTV shows slated for 2024 — Backed By the Bros and Don’t Hate Your House With the Property Brothers — and thriving home product lines, the design duo remains hard at work.
The Scott brothers recently stopped by Good Housekeeping‘s New York offices, and shared some of their top design mistakes to avoid as well as some decorating myths to watch out for — and let’s just say we hung on their every word. Here’s Jonathan and Drew’s best advice for homeowners right now:
Design Mistakes to Avoid
- Opting for epoxyed countertops. “Don’t epoxy your countertops! It doesn’t last!” — Jonathan
- Hanging patina mirrors. “People like doing something fancy with their mirrors — like patina mirrors that have some sort of an aged look. But I say, stop doing that for mirrors you use in your bathroom.” — Drew
- Tackling complicated DIY projects like wiring or plumbing. “Why are you DIY’ing to save money when, in the end, it’s actually going to cost you money?” — Drew
- Installing barn doors. “Barn doors have been overdone. They’re perfect for certain solutions, but not for every solution.” — Jonathan
Design Myths to Ignore
- Hardwood is the only option. “There are much better products that are far more durable. Luxury vinyl is an example [of a material] that can look like hardwood, but it’s way more durable.” — Drew
- A clutter-free home is best. “Curate your clutter instead. Decide what’s going to showcase your personality and then get rid of the other stuff.” — Jonathan
- Matching all your furniture and accessories. “People think you have to match things in open floor plans. Matchy-matchy is really boring. Find things that complement [each other] and even [introduce] some nice contrast throughout the space to bring more personality.” — Drew
Visit Good Housekeeping’s TikTok for more design advice from the Property Brothers!
Home Design Director
Monique Valeris is the home design director for Good Housekeeping, where she oversees the brand’s home decorating coverage across print and digital. Prior to joining GH in 2020, she was the digital editor at Elle Decor. In her current role, she explores everything from design trends and home tours to lifestyle product recommendations, including writing her monthly column, “What’s in My Cart.”